Thursday 10 May 2007

End of module questionnaire

Age?
20

Sex?
Female

What is your degree subject (both if joint)?
Social care and criminal justice combined

Does ‘Being Bad’ relate well to the other modules you are taking?
Yes in a sense

If so, how? And if not, why not?
The modules have a common link which is sociology; it helped me to understand society and what it considers to be ‘bad’. It also gave some insight into general views of what the public thinks and if I ever came a cross someone doing something from the ‘being bad’ subjects I know I would handle it better than I would have before the module.

Have you found ‘Being Bad’ too demanding, too easy, or at an appropriate level?
I found it at an appropriate level. It was a good module, we were learning new things each week and being brought into discussions instead of sitting there with mindless slugs.

Do you think the list of topics covered on the module was appropriate?
Yes I think the list was appropriate. I think all the topics were really good discussion/argument types.

Are there any topics not included in the module that you would like to see included?
I would have like to see vampirism in the topic; it’s a really good subject with a lot of myth and legend linked to it.

Do you think that the format for classes has worked well?
Yes the format has worked well,

What did you think of the module team?
Fantastic, they were really great.

Do you think it would have been better to have had more:
Small group discussions?
I do not think it would have worked for this module because the lecture was discussed around the lecturer as well as the students, it was more fun hearing everyone’s viewpoints and having the lecturer as well s others respond back to it.

Discussion and debate among the class as a whole?
Yes it would have been nicer to see more people participate as a whole, in some topics the response and discussions were brilliant but in others it kind off dwindled. Topics like bad comedians, gambling and bandits and outlaws I think were less discussed.

Information and talk from lecturers?
No that was enough! Although some more prompting and discussion type questions would have worked better in some topics.

The approach taken in the module is interdisciplinary (drawing on perspectives from English Literature, Film Studies, Creative Writing, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Media Studies and Politics): do you think this a useful way of approaching the topics covered in the module?
Yes I think it was a very useful was of approaching the topics, it gave a broader understanding about each topic and the links with each perspective made you think in a different way. It was really interesting and like some lectures did not lead to boredom.

Do you think that interdisciplinary modules are a good idea?
Yes they are a very good idea. They work well in the module.

Do you think you have benefited from the interdisciplinary approach taken in the module?
Yes, very much so.

Would you like to see more modules that cover this kind of subject matter?
Yes I think it would work well

Are you planning to take the follow-up module PH2004 ‘It Shouldn’t Be Allowed’ at level 2?
I have to check it out first but if it sounds interesting so I might do it.

Would you recommend ‘Being Bad’ to a friend?
Yes I would definitely recommend it.

Do you think that the blogs (web logs) were a good idea?
Yes I do, I think they help people to write down what they really think and to interact with people in the class better than they would in small discussions.

What did you think of the other assessments (e.g. would it be better to have one longer assessment rather than two shorter ones?)?
I preferred two short assessments rather than longer ones.

What have you learned from the module?
I have learnt something new each week! Like the history on body modification and masturbation and that infidelity sites are a lot more common than I thought they were. I have also learnt a bit about human behaviour like with body modification, we all do it and it is mostly to attract others to ourselves and about infidelity, some people would rather cheat and stay together with their spouses than cheat and get found out or just have a clean break and divorce. Some claim they love their spouses and having affairs has made their relationship stronger and actually believe it!

What parts of the module have you found most useful and why?
I found the lectures and hand outs really useful. It was all useful there was nothing really useless about it.

What parts do you think were a waste of time and why?
Again don’t think there was any waste of time involved in it

Are there any other comments you wish to make regarding ‘Being Bad’?
It has been a wicked module and I loved it all. The lecturers have been the coolest I have had so far!! Especially Mark, its a shame he didn't teach more of the topics and i have to admit i am soo jelous of his hair!!!!
Thank you for teaching!!!

No comments: